Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pantry / Freezer Challenge

So I have been doing the coupon thing and the shopping the sales thing for a while now and realized over the weekend after cleaning out my freezer and my pantry that I have a big back stock of food. So I decided to give myself a little challenge. Over these next two weeks, we are going to clean out the freezer and pantry. After making my menus, I realized it was necessary to pick up a few things at the grocery, i.e. milk, lettuce, bread, but the rest would have to come from our stockpile. It took a bit of an open mind and inventiveness, but I had enough food to last us for two weeks worth of dinners. We are currently on Day 5, and I have to say, it feels really good to eat what we have and know that I won't be spending our grocery money these next two weeks. Some of the meals are really simple, some are meals that were cooked and previously frozen, some are meals previously frozen from precious friends and some of the meals are really ellaborate. It was fun to try and create meals of what we already had on hand, it definitely required some creative thinking. The bad side of this...by the end of next week, my freezer and my pantry will be bare :(

Wish us luck on our two week challenge!

No comments: