Sunday, November 29, 2009

He always answers

God, that is. He always answers our prayers. They may not be the answer we want, but it's always the answer that we need.
For 9 months, I prayed for a healthy baby boy. All ten fingers, all ten toes. Towards the end of my pregnancy, when some warning signs appeared, I prayed more fervently for a healthy baby boy. I began to doubt the knowledge of the doctors. I couldn't understand why they were making the choices they were making regarding my son. I prayed that they would deliver my son before he got in any danger. When I was told I would need to have a C-section, I prayed my son would turn into a head down position so that I could deliver him and avoid surgery. Well, that was not God's plan...and thank goodness for that.

Here is my son's birth story.

We arrived at the hospital at our assigned time. I was the only c-section scheduled for that day, so the surgery ward was all quiet. They wheeled me into the OR right at 9:30 a.m. They got started right away and before I knew it, they were telling me he was about to come out. Hubby stood up to watch him come out. Everyone told me he was out, but I didn't hear a sound. Not a whimper, not a cry, not one noise. I asked Hubby if he was okay and he only nodded. He sat back down as the nurses rushed my son by, taking him to the warming station. I couldn't see my son for nurses and doctors gathered around him. No one would tell me what was going on. This is where I promptly fell asleep. Yep, fell straight asleep. I awoke fairly quickly though. And then we heard it...a small, faint whimper. A few minutes later, he was screaming like a champ and Hubby was bringing him over to me to meet him. His color was good, he was breathing good and he was crying. Even in my altered state, I knew all those things were good things. What I didn't know at that time is what my son had truly been through in the first 5 minutes of his life. My son was entirely limp and motionless as they pulled him out of me. The cord was tightly wrapped around his neck, twice. He wasn't breathing...he couldn't. Fortuneately, no one told me this information until much later.

You see, God had answered my prayer. My son was here, healthy, with all ten fingers and all ten toes. But he didn't answer one of my prayers: that my son would turn into a head down position so I could deliver him. Thank goodness He knew that another way would be better for my son. Had he tried to turn or had we done the External Aversion, my son's life would have been in danger. It's not that he didn't answer my prayer. He just knew a better answer than I did. So the next time you think God hasn't heard your prayers and requests, remember that He has heard you, but He knows exactly what you need and what you need is sometimes not what you asked for. He will always answer your prayers, it just may not be the answer you wanted. But it will always be the answer you need.

2 comments:

Lou Lou said...

Oh my gosh girl! How scary. Glad you didn't know until he was all better. I can't wait to meet him. Carrie told me he is a cutie.

The Harris' said...

I know I heard his story but I tell you what reading it really opened the flood gates! Love ya!!